Android files Ubuntu

9100
Hi,

I would like to view all files (also the system files) that stay on my
android smart phone in Ubuntu. I don't know if it is smart to do, but I
want to delete some files, because I believe there is stay some 'crap'
on it.

I have found 'QtADB'. Someone experience with it or know another program?

Thanks,

Samuel

-------------

Hallo,

Ik zou graag alle bestanden (ook de systeem bestanden) die op mijn
Android smartphone staan bekijken.

Er staan volgens mij zaken op die er niet op hoeven te staan en deze wil
ik eens verwijderen.

Alvast bedankt !

Samuel

Re: Android files Ubuntu

Jan Claeys
[hidden email] schreef op di 22-12-2015 om 17:56 [+0100]:
> I would like to view all files (also the system files) that stay on
> my android smart phone in Ubuntu. I don't know if it is smart to do,
> but I want to delete some files, because I believe there is stay some
> 'crap' on it.
>
> I have found 'QtADB'. Someone experience with it or know another
> program?

If you know how to work on the command line, you can use the 'adb' tool
in the 'android-tools-adb' package to get a shell on any Android phone,
provided "developer mode" is enabled on the phone (not all phones
support that though).

Also see:
http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html

I don't know QtADB, but I assume it's a GUI frontend for 'adb'?

And be careful what you delete...

--
Jan Claeys

Re: Android files Ubuntu

WhiteSpace
First thing i did with my "smart"phone was rooting.

This gave me a bit more control over the phone.
But soon i'll be leaving the Android platform and i'll be buying an
Ubuntu phone.

Op 22-12-15 om 19:08 schreef Jan Claeys (Ubuntu):

> [hidden email] schreef op di 22-12-2015 om 17:56 [+0100]:
>> I would like to view all files (also the system files) that stay on
>> my android smart phone in Ubuntu. I don't know if it is smart to do,
>> but I want to delete some files, because I believe there is stay some
>> 'crap' on it.
>>
>> I have found 'QtADB'. Someone experience with it or know another
>> program?
> If you know how to work on the command line, you can use the 'adb' tool
> in the 'android-tools-adb' package to get a shell on any Android phone,
> provided "developer mode" is enabled on the phone (not all phones
> support that though).
>
> Also see:
> http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html
>
> I don't know QtADB, but I assume it's a GUI frontend for 'adb'?
>
> And be careful what you delete...

Re: Android files Ubuntu

Jurgen Gaeremyn
Hey Samuel,

I'd be hesitant to go rooting my phone. For starters, because Android is
basically a crippled down version of Linux, in that way that it's not
made to have a seperate sudo account. So if you give yourself root
powers, any hack on your phone can touch the whole phone (and wreck it).

By rooting it, you're basically taking away the Linux security Android
has...

Grtz,
Jurgen

On 22-12-15 17:56, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to view all files (also the system files) that stay on my
> android smart phone in Ubuntu. I don't know if it is smart to do, but I
> want to delete some files, because I believe there is stay some 'crap'
> on it.
>
> I have found 'QtADB'. Someone experience with it or know another program?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Samuel
>
> -------------
>
> Hallo,
>
> Ik zou graag alle bestanden (ook de systeem bestanden) die op mijn
> Android smartphone staan bekijken.
>
> Er staan volgens mij zaken op die er niet op hoeven te staan en deze wil
> ik eens verwijderen.
>
> Alvast bedankt !
>
> Samuel

Re: Android files Ubuntu

Merlijn Sebrechts
I'd like to add that, unlike Ubuntu Phone, android is not a linux distribution. Android uses the linux kernel and some lo-level linux tools like HAL but that's pretty much it. The similarities between android and every other linux distribution end here.

Rooting an android phone has nothing to do with the root account as we know it from Ubuntu. Rooting simply disables some security features. There is no underlying unix/linux distro, just the java environment (that simulates some unix functionality) + the linux kernel.

Ubuntu phone is quite similar to the current ubuntu desktop, it is basically normal Ubuntu with unity8 (desktop is now unity7) with a read-only root partition (so apt is disabled). All software gets installed inside containers(a sandbox) in the users home directory. This allows for a lot more guaranteed stability since every root partition of every ubuntu phone is more or less the same. No more edge cases breaking upgrade.. Rooting the ubuntu phone is very easy. You remount the root partition so it is writable. This doesn't have any effect on the security/sandboxing of the apps, each app is still contained in a container. This does allow you to use apt to install any ubuntu application (ubuntu touch repos are the same as ubuntu desktop and server repos).

So if you are looking for an os that's stable, safe and very hackable I'd really recommend Ubuntu touch. Although I'd recommend to wait for the convergent device bq will bring out this year. I have the bq aquaris 4.5 at the moment. I use it as my one and only phone, but it's a bit underpowered...

This doesn't really help Jurgen, sorry for that. I just think it adds some necessary context to the whole rooting discussion...

On-topic: Adb on ubuntu has the functionality to open a shell on the android phone. You should be able to see the fs using cd and ls. I do not think rooting is required, only dev mode...

Op zaterdag 2 januari 2016 heeft Jurgen Gaeremyn <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> Hey Samuel,
>
> I'd be hesitant to go rooting my phone. For starters, because Android is
> basically a crippled down version of Linux, in that way that it's not
> made to have a seperate sudo account. So if you give yourself root
> powers, any hack on your phone can touch the whole phone (and wreck it).
>
> By rooting it, you're basically taking away the Linux security Android
> has...
>
> Grtz,
> Jurgen
>
> On 22-12-15 17:56, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to view all files (also the system files) that stay on my
>> android smart phone in Ubuntu. I don't know if it is smart to do, but I
>> want to delete some files, because I believe there is stay some 'crap'
>> on it.
>>
>> I have found 'QtADB'. Someone experience with it or know another program?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Samuel
>>
>> -------------
>>
>> Hallo,
>>
>> Ik zou graag alle bestanden (ook de systeem bestanden) die op mijn
>> Android smartphone staan bekijken.
>>
>> Er staan volgens mij zaken op die er niet op hoeven te staan en deze wil
>> ik eens verwijderen.
>>
>> Alvast bedankt !
>>
>> Samuel

Re: Android files Ubuntu

Jan Claeys
Merlijn Sebrechts schreef op zo 03-01-2016 om 10:34 [+0100]:
> Rooting the ubuntu phone is very easy. You remount the root partition
> so it is writable. This doesn't have any effect on the
> security/sandboxing of the apps, each app is still contained in a
> container. This does allow you to use apt to install any ubuntu
> application (ubuntu touch repos are the same as ubuntu desktop and
> server repos).

This will likely result in breakage on some future OTA system upgrade
though, and because of that is not recommended.

If you want to install packages on an Ubuntu phone, the best option is
to create a chroot environment in the phablet user's home directory,
and install & run packages in there.

--
Jan Claeys

Re: Android files Ubuntu

9100
I am wondering, does a factory reset, really bring your smart phone in
the state it was, the first time you have use it?