New Banner - Call for propositions

mongolito404
Administrator
Hi,

At tonight meeting we decided on the following process to finalize the
work started here and to get a new Ubuntu-be banner matching the new
Ubuntu branding. Everybody has until next meeting on 16/06/2010 at
21:00 (UTC+2) to send their proposition to this mailing list. During
the meeting a selection of 5 (or less) propositions will be
shortlisted. Then I'll create a poll (on Launchpad) opened for two
weeks the let everybody vote. The poll result will decide of the new
banner/logo for Ubuntu-be[1].

Two important notes:
 * The new font has not been released (yet) by Canonical. The only
letter for "Ubuntu-be" you can't get by copy/pasting/resize from the
existing logo is the "e". In order to get things done, we can decide
on a incomplete design using inappropriate sources (the Ubuntu logo in
bitmap) to be refined using the new font and proper source once
available.
 * I don't think anybody will have the courage the crawl though the
mailing list archive to pick everyone's last/best submission. I known
I won't. So please, resend your best/favorite design (done by you) in

PS: See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.region.belgium/4513
for the original discussion

[1] Unless we are overwhelmed by an army of trolls hijacking the
meeting and the poll.

--
Pierre Buyle

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

steven leeman-3

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Pierre Buyle <[hidden email]> wrote:

 * I don't think anybody will have the courage the crawl though the
mailing list archive to pick everyone's last/best submission. I known
I won't. So please, resend your best/favorite design (done by you) in

Google Mail is your friend...
http://picasaweb.google.com/steven.leeman/Ubuntu#
have fun

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

jean7491@gmail.com
Hi to all,

As contribution to the call, here are 2 proposals for a new banner. Originals are in .svg (inkscape).

Version 1

Version 2

jean7491
Ubuntu Belgium Events Team

Le 02/06/10 23:12, Pierre Buyle a écrit :
[...]

Matthew Deboysere
I prefer the first one

Matthew

On 8 Jun 2010, at 20:10, jean7491 wrote:

Hi to all,

As contribution to the call, here are 2 proposals for a new banner. Originals are in .svg (inkscape).

Version 1
<Be_banner-v1.resized5.jpg>

Version 2
<Be_banner-v2.resized5.jpg>

[...]

Lars Blockken
I prefer version 2. The first one kinda  links us to the Belgian government. It looks ok, But the 2nd one I like the most.

Grtz,
Lars

Op 8-jun-2010, om 21:10 heeft jean7491 het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Koen Wybo
Mijn bijdrage aan de banner:
De look van andere nieuwe logo's gevolgd: 80% zwart voor ubuntu en 60 %
zwart voor 'be'. Het blijft wachten op het officiële lettertype om de
'e' definitief te kunnen voltooien.
In plaats van 1 circle of friends zijn het er drie geworden: we hebben
dan ook een nationale vlag bestaande uit drie kleurtjes ;-)

Origineel is in svg.

groetjes,

Koen Wybo

be-4.png (59K) Download Attachment

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

Philippe Delodder
De Banner van Koen is voor mij de beste.
--
Philippe Delodder
[hidden email]

Op 9 juni 2010 09:08 schreef Koen Wybo <[hidden email]> het volgende:
Mijn bijdrage aan de banner:
De look van andere nieuwe logo's gevolgd: 80% zwart voor ubuntu en 60 %
zwart voor 'be'. Het blijft wachten op het officiële lettertype om de
'e' definitief te kunnen voltooien.
In plaats van 1 circle of friends zijn het er drie geworden: we hebben
dan ook een nationale vlag bestaande uit drie kleurtjes ;-)

Origineel is in svg.

groetjes,

Koen Wybo

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

Alain Baudrez
De banner van Koen is origineel en 'crisp'. Die draagt momenteel mijn voorkeur weg.

Alain

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

Jan Bongaerts
Deze banner van Koen lijkt heel mooi.
Jan.

2010/6/9 Koen Wybo <[hidden email]>
Mijn bijdrage aan de banner:
De look van andere nieuwe logo's gevolgd: 80% zwart voor ubuntu en 60 %
zwart voor 'be'. Het blijft wachten op het officiële lettertype om de
'e' definitief te kunnen voltooien.
In plaats van 1 circle of friends zijn het er drie geworden: we hebben
dan ook een nationale vlag bestaande uit drie kleurtjes ;-)

Origineel is in svg.

groetjes,

Koen Wybo

Microsoft programs are like Englishmen. They only speak Microsoft.

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

Pierre Buyle
Reminder: a poll will be opened next week to let everyone vote for
their favorite logo.

--
P.

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

Steven De Baets
Hi all,

Attached are 4 new submissions for the banner.
Originals in Inkscape .svg.
I have a lot more, but don't be scared, I won't send them all.

Regards,
Steven.

steven 01.png (21K) Download Attachment
steven 02.png (21K) Download Attachment
steven 03.png (31K) Download Attachment
steven 04.png (20K) Download Attachment

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

Matthew Deboysere
I like your forth submission (without any Belgian colours).

Matt

> Hi all,
>
> Attached are 4 new submissions for the banner.
> Originals in Inkscape .svg.
> I have a lot more, but don't be scared, I won't send them all.
>
> Regards,
> Steven.

mvg
Matthew Deboysere

Contact:
   GameScores
   tav Tom Van den Broecke
   Verbertstraat 110
   2900 Schoten

Web:
   http://www.next-games.nl
   http://www.gamescores.nl

Email:

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

jean7491@gmail.com
The last edition of the Ubuntu Brand Guidelines (03 June 2010) is
available :
http://design.canonical.com/the-toolkit/ubuntu-brand-guidelines/

jean7491
Ubuntu Belgium Events Team

Le 02/06/10 23:12, Pierre Buyle a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> At tonight meeting we decided on the following process to finalize the
> work started here and to get a new Ubuntu-be banner matching the new
> Ubuntu branding. Everybody has until next meeting on 16/06/2010 at
> 21:00 (UTC+2) to send their proposition to this mailing list. During
> the meeting a selection of 5 (or less) propositions will be
> shortlisted. Then I'll create a poll (on Launchpad) opened for two
> weeks the let everybody vote. The poll result will decide of the new
> banner/logo for Ubuntu-be[1].
>
> Two important notes:
>   * The new font has not been released (yet) by Canonical. The only
> letter for "Ubuntu-be" you can't get by copy/pasting/resize from the
> existing logo is the "e". In order to get things done, we can decide
> on a incomplete design using inappropriate sources (the Ubuntu logo in
> bitmap) to be refined using the new font and proper source once
> available.
>   * I don't think anybody will have the courage the crawl though the
> mailing list archive to pick everyone's last/best submission. I known
> I won't. So please, resend your best/favorite design (done by you) in
>
> PS: See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.region.belgium/4513
> for the original discussion
>
> [1] Unless we are overwhelmed by an army of trolls hijacking the
> meeting and the poll.
>
> --
> Pierre Buyle

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

Jan Bongaerts
Quite strict!
This would mean some of the propositions won't fly, because the circle of friends' colour was changed. (e.g. Koen's design or the first three designs from Steven.)
But at least you can find a proper 'e' when they talk about the file names on page 18 of the Ubuntu Brand Guidelines.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 6:25 PM, jean7491 <[hidden email]> wrote:
The last edition of the Ubuntu Brand Guidelines (03 June 2010) is
available :
http://design.canonical.com/the-toolkit/ubuntu-brand-guidelines/

jean7491
Ubuntu Belgium Events Team

Le 02/06/10 23:12, Pierre Buyle a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> At tonight meeting we decided on the following process to finalize the
> work started here and to get a new Ubuntu-be banner matching the new
> Ubuntu branding. Everybody has until next meeting on 16/06/2010 at
> 21:00 (UTC+2) to send their proposition to this mailing list. During
> the meeting a selection of 5 (or less) propositions will be
> shortlisted. Then I'll create a poll (on Launchpad) opened for two
> weeks the let everybody vote. The poll result will decide of the new
> banner/logo for Ubuntu-be[1].
>
> Two important notes:
>   * The new font has not been released (yet) by Canonical. The only
> letter for "Ubuntu-be" you can't get by copy/pasting/resize from the
> existing logo is the "e". In order to get things done, we can decide
> on a incomplete design using inappropriate sources (the Ubuntu logo in
> bitmap) to be refined using the new font and proper source once
> available.
>   * I don't think anybody will have the courage the crawl though the
> mailing list archive to pick everyone's last/best submission. I known
> I won't. So please, resend your best/favorite design (done by you) in
>
> PS: See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.region.belgium/4513
> for the original discussion
>
> [1] Unless we are overwhelmed by an army of trolls hijacking the
> meeting and the poll.
>
> --
> Pierre Buyle

Microsoft programs are like Englishmen. They only speak Microsoft.

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

Steven De Baets
Hi folks,

According to the Visual Identity guidelines, one cannot change the shape
or colour of the circle of friends.
I also read that there has to be a "registered trademark" sign when the
ubuntu logo is being published in a size over 3 cm wide.
Yesterday there also leaked a beta version of the ubuntu-font on the
internet. Only the internationalisation of the font isn't finished yet.
The beta version is complete for our language, it works well, and I used
it in this version.
I also used the official cmyk colours for this one.
Personally, I think that the Belgian colours don't work well with the
orange of the Ubuntu logo in any way (trust me, i tried to make them
work), and logos with Belgian colours give a rather cluttered impression
(except for the ones where the circle of friends have the colours, but
as we said earlier, we can't).
Furthermore, using both the belgian colours and the "be"-text seems
double, as everyone understands "be" stands for "Belgium".

We have to keep it clean and simple. That's the only way to keep things
highly recognisable, and true to the minimalistic direction and the
decluttering actions both Canonical and the distribution have taken
recently (eg. Ubuntu Light and the Unity desktop).

When I created the current posters (Ontketen je computer), I took a
minimalistic approach as well, because I thought it was the right way to
go. I haven't changed my mind since then...

But that's just me...

Regards,
Steven.

steven 05.png (21K) Download Attachment

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

Jan Claeys
Op donderdag 10-06-2010 om 13:07 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Steven De
Baets:
> According to the Visual Identity guidelines, one cannot change the shape
> or colour of the circle of friends.
> I also read that there has to be a "registered trademark" sign when the
> ubuntu logo is being published in a size over 3 cm wide.
> Yesterday there also leaked a beta version of the ubuntu-font on the
> internet. Only the internationalisation of the font isn't finished yet.
> The beta version is complete for our language, it works well, and I used
> it in this version.

Spacing in that beta font version maybe isn't correct (and hinting
certainly isn't).  But it's perfectly usable to make rough design
proposal of course.

> I also used the official cmyk colours for this one.

No, you didn't, PNG can't do CMYK...  ;)

> Personally, I think that the Belgian colours don't work well with the
> orange of the Ubuntu logo in any way (trust me, i tried to make them
> work), and logos with Belgian colours give a rather cluttered impression
> (except for the ones where the circle of friends have the colours, but
> as we said earlier, we can't).
> Furthermore, using both the belgian colours and the "be"-text seems
> double, as everyone understands "be" stands for "Belgium".

I agree that the colours don't match too well, or it risks to make it
look like a "colouring book" if orange or the dark purple colour are
used too.

> We have to keep it clean and simple. That's the only way to keep things
> highly recognisable, and true to the minimalistic direction and the
> decluttering actions both Canonical and the distribution have taken
> recently (eg. Ubuntu Light and the Unity desktop).
>
> When I created the current posters (Ontketen je computer), I took a
> minimalistic approach as well, because I thought it was the right way to
> go. I haven't changed my mind since then...

Another option is to use a (dark) grey or maybe even black for the "be"
part (IIRC that's what some other locoteams also do?).

--
Jan Claeys

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

jean7491@gmail.com
Steven,

To keep it simple and as suggested by Jan, could you present another
proposition using use a (dark) grey or maybe even black for the "be" part ?

jean7491
Ubuntu Belgium Events Team

On 10/06/10 13:07, Steven De Baets wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> According to the Visual Identity guidelines, one cannot change the shape
> or colour of the circle of friends.
> I also read that there has to be a "registered trademark" sign when the
> ubuntu logo is being published in a size over 3 cm wide.
> Yesterday there also leaked a beta version of the ubuntu-font on the
> internet. Only the internationalisation of the font isn't finished yet.
> The beta version is complete for our language, it works well, and I used
> it in this version.
> I also used the official cmyk colours for this one.
> Personally, I think that the Belgian colours don't work well with the
> orange of the Ubuntu logo in any way (trust me, i tried to make them
> work), and logos with Belgian colours give a rather cluttered impression
> (except for the ones where the circle of friends have the colours, but
> as we said earlier, we can't).
> Furthermore, using both the belgian colours and the "be"-text seems
> double, as everyone understands "be" stands for "Belgium".
>
> We have to keep it clean and simple. That's the only way to keep things
> highly recognisable, and true to the minimalistic direction and the
> decluttering actions both Canonical and the distribution have taken
> recently (eg. Ubuntu Light and the Unity desktop).
>
> When I created the current posters (Ontketen je computer), I took a
> minimalistic approach as well, because I thought it was the right way to
> go. I haven't changed my mind since then...
>
> But that's just me...
>
> Regards,
> Steven.

Re: New Banner - Call for propositions

Steven De Baets
Hi to all,
Hello Jean,

As asked by Jean, I added 2 proposals with black and grey "be" parts.

@Jan: designed using linux software that can handle cmyk and converted
to png :-D . Indeed the spacing in the beta font isn't correct. I
noticed that as well and made small adjustments to the text.

Kind regards,
Steven.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,