Quantcast

Reach out to the kids

kawabill
Just think about a Raspberry Pi costing less than a new pair of jeans! Today I read through an article in the Guardian which I believe is very true and offers a real opportunity for Linux as a whole, and aspecially for Ubuntu.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/mar/31/why-kids-should-be-taught-code

There will be lots of interesting discussions about the key concepts that students will need to understand, but here's one possible list for starters. Kids need to know about: algorithms (the mathematical recipes that make up programs); cryptography (how confidential information is protected on the net); machine intelligence (how services such as YouTube, NetFlix, Google and Amazon predict your preferences); computational biology (how the genetic code works); search (how we find needles in a billion haystacks); recursion (a method where the solution to a problem depends on solutions to smaller instances of the same problem); and heuristics (experience-based techniques for problem-solving, learning, and discovery).

It still seems far away, but it could be heading our way @ lightspeed.

Anyone already played with it: http://www.raspberrypi.org/
Still waiting to get one in my hands, patiently.

Lots of ubuntu to all!

Bill