Release Party 14.04 Ghent

12

Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Mimor

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Jan Bongaerts
Hi Mike,
I haven't been at such an event myself yet, but perhaps it is best to split the people into two groups, depending on how you advertise the event.
Those that never have worked with ubuntu, and those that have, but want to upgrade.
If there are people that never worked with ubuntu, and need some convincing, I am willing to give a short presentation of about an hour. Those people should probably come an hour earlier to the event.

Other than that, I have marked the date in my agenda, and I will be there if I am available.

Cheers,
Jan.

Have you tried Ubuntu Linux yet?
Check out http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/ and find out why it is a better option than trying to upgrade your hardware to accommodate a newer version of your current system.

Have you tried Ubuntu Linux yet?
Check out http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/ and find out why it is a better option than trying to upgrade your hardware to accommodate a newer version of your current system.

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Mimor

Hi Jan,

that's an awesome idea!
But for that to happen, I'll need to make sure there are enough
participants. Otherwise splitting a group of say each five people
would be dull.
I appreciate your offer extremely and will keep it in mind while planning.

- - Mike

On 04/03/14 17:42, Jan Bongaerts wrote:

> Hi Mike, I haven't been at such an event myself yet, but perhaps it
> is best to split the people into two groups, depending on how you
> advertise the event. Those that never have worked with ubuntu, and
> those that have, but want to upgrade. If there are people that
> never worked with ubuntu, and need some convincing, I am willing to
> give a short presentation of about an hour. Those people should
> probably come an hour earlier to the event.
>
> Other than that, I have marked the date in my agenda, and I will be
> there if I am available.
>

> Cheers, Jan.
>

> On 4 March 2014 15:38, Mike Morraye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> As next month there will be a new release of another LTS version
> of Ubuntu, I'm looking into organizing a Release Party.
>
> Date: April 19th (the Saturday after the release)
>
> What has been done: I've already got the location available. The
> hackerspace in Ghent (http://0x20.be) is my venue of choice.
>
> What needs to be done: My next step is decide what kind of
> activities there should be. Therefore I come to request your help.
>
> What is it you'd expect from a release party? Would you rather have
> a simple and only-socialize event, or would you expect demo's from
> vendors and/or talks by other users?
>
> If you are willing to give a talk/presentation, whether you are a
> user or a techie... And you are willing to come over to the
> wonderful city of Ghent, contact me!
>
> I'm also looking for vendors, working with Ubuntu, that are willing
> to give a demo of their product. So if you are one of these
> vendors, or you know a vendor, get in touch with me.
>
> I'm looking forward to all the reactions!
>
> - Mike
>

>> -- ubuntu-be mailing list / mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Mimor

Hi Merlijn,

You're more than welcome!
Bring friends :)

- - Mike

On 04/03/14 17:56, Merlijn Sebrechts wrote:

> I live in Ghent, very close to the hackerspace. If you need help,
> let me know!

>> Hi Mike, I haven't been at such an event myself yet, but perhaps
>> it is best to split the people into two groups, depending on how
>> you advertise the event. Those that never have worked with
>> ubuntu, and those that have, but want to upgrade. If there are
>> people that never worked with ubuntu, and need some convincing, I
>> am willing to give a short presentation of about an hour. Those
>> people should probably come an hour earlier to the event.
>>
>> Other than that, I have marked the date in my agenda, and I will
>> be there if I am available.
>>

>> Cheers, Jan.
>>

>> On 4 March 2014 15:38, Mike Morraye <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
> Hi all,
>
> As next month there will be a new release of another LTS version
> of Ubuntu, I'm looking into organizing a Release Party.
>
> Date: April 19th (the Saturday after the release)
>
> What has been done: I've already got the location available. The
> hackerspace in Ghent (http://0x20.be) is my venue of choice.
>
> What needs to be done: My next step is decide what kind of
> activities there should be. Therefore I come to request your help.
>
> What is it you'd expect from a release party? Would you rather have
> a simple and only-socialize event, or would you expect demo's from
> vendors and/or talks by other users?
>
> If you are willing to give a talk/presentation, whether you are a
> user or a techie... And you are willing to come over to the
> wonderful city of Ghent, contact me!
>
> I'm also looking for vendors, working with Ubuntu, that are willing
> to give a demo of their product. So if you are one of these
> vendors, or you know a vendor, get in touch with me.
>
> I'm looking forward to all the reactions!
>
> - Mike
>

>>> -- ubuntu-be mailing list / mailto:[hidden email]
>>>
>>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>>>

>> -- Have you tried Ubuntu Linux yet? Check out
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/ and find out why it is a better
>> option than trying to upgrade your hardware to accommodate a
>> newer version of your current system.
>>
>> -- ubuntu-be mailing list / mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Obould
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Obould
CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Mimor

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Mimor

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Merlijn Sebrechts
Mike

I can give a talk about my experiences with Ubuntu, why I switched and how I use it as a student, or I could give a little demo with the new release. I could also help with installing/troubleshooting.

Maybe we could give a live demo about each part of the Ubuntu family; Unity, Gnome, Lxde, Xfce, ... (does someone have a nexus with ubuntu phone on it?).

With Kind Regards
Merlijn

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Mimor

Hi Merlijn,

That's awesome!
If you feel like it, we can gather at 0x20 and check this out together.
I don't know anyone that has a nexus :(
But I've sent a request for anyone that can provide
help/support/demo's at the release party.
So far without success :/

- - Mimor

On 30/03/14 18:26, Merlijn Sebrechts wrote:

> Mike
>
> I can give a talk about my experiences with Ubuntu, why I switched
> and how I use it as a student, or I could give a little demo with
> the new release. I could also help with
> installing/troubleshooting.
>
> Maybe we could give a live demo about each part of the Ubuntu
> family; Unity, Gnome, Lxde, Xfce, ... (does someone have a nexus
> with ubuntu phone on it?).
>

> With Kind Regards Merlijn

> Hi Christophe,
>
> I'd like to refer to my previous email. The current quest is to
> find people willing to do a demo/talk about the (new) Ubuntu.
>
> Details will soon be put online. This list will be the first place
> I'll notify when that happens :)
>
> (for now, I need to finish Newline - http://0x20.be/newline_2014,
> then I'll finalize the next event eg. releaseparty)
>
> - Mike

> http://ubuntu-be.3354669.n2.nabble.com/Release-Party-14-04-Ghent-tp7575155p7575168.html

Sent from the Ubuntu-be mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

>> -- ubuntu-be mailing list / mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Mimor

Hi all!

So-far, I had no-one willing to give a talk or demo and only one person
(Merlijn) that offered to lend a hand.
This is both sad and disappointing.
This led the goals of the 'release party' to
changed.
It'll just be an opportunity for people to meet other ubuntero's and
have a chat.
People whom are willing to help each-other out with installing or
troubleshooting Ubuntu can do so.

There is the space, internet and food/drinks available.
I had hoped to have a more active and educative release-party...
I guess this just reflects the current state of the Ubuntu-be community.

- - Mimor

On 04/03/14 15:38, Mike Morraye wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As next month there will be a new release of another LTS version
> of Ubuntu, I'm looking into organizing a Release Party.
>
> Date: April 19th (the Saturday after the release)
>
> What has been done: I've already got the location available. The
> hackerspace in Ghent (http://0x20.be) is my venue of choice.
>
> What needs to be done: My next step is decide what kind of
> activities there should be. Therefore I come to request your help.
>
> What is it you'd expect from a release party? Would you rather have
> a simple and only-socialize event, or would you expect demo's from
> vendors and/or talks by other users?
>
> If you are willing to give a talk/presentation, whether you are a
> user or a techie... And you are willing to come over to the
> wonderful city of Ghent, contact me!
>
> I'm also looking for vendors, working with Ubuntu, that are willing
> to give a demo of their product. So if you are one of these
> vendors, or you know a vendor, get in touch with me.
>
> I'm looking forward to all the reactions!
>
> - Mike

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Frank Neirynck
Hello Mike,

I am a user, definitely not a techie, but I use Ubuntu since 2004 as the
only desktop environment in our home and my work network (my work as a
journalist in local news agency), after having my first Ubuntu installed
by Jan Claeys (who solved the issues with my initial screw-up version).
If you want I can talk about that experience either in English, Dutch or
Spanish. I also taught a few years in Peru, where the national
university where I worked used Linux out of financial necessity...

Let me know if this is something you think your audience is willing to
listen to... If so, I'll book my train ride to Ghent...

Kind regards,

Frank Neirynck

So-far, I had no-one willing to give a talk or demo and only one person
(Merlijn) that offered to lend a hand.
This is both sad and disappointing.
This led the goals of the 'release party' to
changed.
It'll just be an opportunity for people to meet other ubuntero's and
have a chat.
People whom are willing to help each-other out with installing or
troubleshooting Ubuntu can do so.

There is the space, internet and food/drinks available.
I had hoped to have a more active and educative release-party...
I guess this just reflects the current state of the Ubuntu-be community.

- Mimor

On 04/03/14 15:38, Mike Morraye wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As next month there will be a new release of another LTS version
> of Ubuntu, I'm looking into organizing a Release Party.
>
> Date: April 19th (the Saturday after the release)
>
> What has been done: I've already got the location available. The
> hackerspace in Ghent (http://0x20.be) is my venue of choice.
>
> What needs to be done: My next step is decide what kind of
> activities there should be. Therefore I come to request your help.
>
> What is it you'd expect from a release party? Would you rather have
> a simple and only-socialize event, or would you expect demo's from
> vendors and/or talks by other users?
>
> If you are willing to give a talk/presentation, whether you are a
> user or a techie... And you are willing to come over to the
> wonderful city of Ghent, contact me!
>
> I'm also looking for vendors, working with Ubuntu, that are willing
> to give a demo of their product. So if you are one of these
> vendors, or you know a vendor, get in touch with me.
>
> I'm looking forward to all the reactions!
>
> - Mike

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Mimor

Hi Frank,

That's awesome!
I'd love it if you would/could give a presentation/talk about your
experience.
We've got the space and a beamer.

- - Mimor

On 15/04/14 22:48, Frank Neirynck wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> I am a user, definitely not a techie, but I use Ubuntu since 2004
> as the only desktop environment in our home and my work network (my
> work as a journalist in local news agency), after having my first
> Ubuntu installed by Jan Claeys (who solved the issues with my
> initial screw-up version). If you want I can talk about that
> experience either in English, Dutch or Spanish. I also taught a few
> years in Peru, where the national university where I worked used
> Linux out of financial necessity...
>
> Let me know if this is something you think your audience is willing
> to listen to... If so, I'll book my train ride to Ghent...
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Frank Neirynck
>
> -----Oorspronkelijke bericht----- Van: Mike Morraye
> <[hidden email]> Reply-to: Ubuntu Belgium
> <[hidden email]> Aan: Ubuntu Belgium
> <[hidden email]> Onderwerp: Re: [Ubuntu-be] Release
> Party 14.04 Ghent Datum: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 18:42:39 +0200
>
> Hi all!
>
> So-far, I had no-one willing to give a talk or demo and only one
> person (Merlijn) that offered to lend a hand. This is both sad and
> disappointing. This led the goals of the 'release party' to
> changed. It'll just be an opportunity for people to meet other
> ubuntero's and have a chat. People whom are willing to help
> each-other out with installing or troubleshooting Ubuntu can do
> so.
>
> There is the space, internet and food/drinks available. I had hoped
> to have a more active and educative release-party... I guess this
> just reflects the current state of the Ubuntu-be community.
>
> - Mimor
>

> On 04/03/14 15:38, Mike Morraye wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As next month there will be a new release of another LTS version
>> of Ubuntu, I'm looking into organizing a Release Party.
>>
>> Date: April 19th (the Saturday after the release)
>>
>> What has been done: I've already got the location available. The
>> hackerspace in Ghent (http://0x20.be) is my venue of choice.
>>
>> What needs to be done: My next step is decide what kind of
>> activities there should be. Therefore I come to request your
>> help.
>>
>> What is it you'd expect from a release party? Would you rather
>> have a simple and only-socialize event, or would you expect
>> demo's from vendors and/or talks by other users?
>>
>> If you are willing to give a talk/presentation, whether you are
>> a user or a techie... And you are willing to come over to the
>> wonderful city of Ghent, contact me!
>>
>> I'm also looking for vendors, working with Ubuntu, that are
>> willing to give a demo of their product. So if you are one of
>> these vendors, or you know a vendor, get in touch with me.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to all the reactions!
>>
>> - Mike

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Michel Daggelinckx-2
i could give a talk about linux in wireless mesh networks.
openwrt + guifi.net + qmp.cat for large networks
openwrt + villagetelco.org (SECN v2.0) for small networks and telefonie
in rural developing world.

Michel

op 04/15/2014 11:06 PM, Mike Morraye schreef:

> [...]
>>>
>>> What has been done: I've already got the location available. The
>>> hackerspace in Ghent (http://0x20.be) is my venue of choice.
>>>
>>> What needs to be done: My next step is decide what kind of
>>> activities there should be. Therefore I come to request your
>>> help.
>>>
>>> What is it you'd expect from a release party? Would you rather
>>> have a simple and only-socialize event, or would you expect
>>> demo's from vendors and/or talks by other users?
>>>
>>> If you are willing to give a talk/presentation, whether you are
>>> a user or a techie... And you are willing to come over to the
>>> wonderful city of Ghent, contact me!
>>>
>>> I'm also looking for vendors, working with Ubuntu, that are
>>> willing to give a demo of their product. So if you are one of
>>> these vendors, or you know a vendor, get in touch with me.
>>>
>>> I'm looking forward to all the reactions!

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Mimor

Hi Michel,

You're welcome to give your talk!
I'm extremely interesting in these subjects, as will others!

- - Mimor

On 15/04/14 23:24, Michel Daggelinckx wrote:

> i could give a talk about linux in wireless mesh networks. openwrt
> + guifi.net + qmp.cat for large networks openwrt + villagetelco.org
> (SECN v2.0) for small networks and telefonie in rural developing
> world.
>
> Michel
>
> op 04/15/2014 11:06 PM, Mike Morraye schreef: Hi Frank,
>
> That's awesome! I'd love it if you would/could give a
> presentation/talk about your experience. We've got the space and a
> beamer.
>
> - Mimor

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Michel Daggelinckx-2
what time i have to be in ghent?

Michel

op 04/15/2014 11:57 PM, Mike Morraye schreef:

> Hi Michel,
>
> You're welcome to give your talk!
> I'm extremely interesting in these subjects, as will others!
>
> - - Mimor
>
> On 15/04/14 23:24, Michel Daggelinckx wrote:
>> i could give a talk about linux in wireless mesh networks. openwrt
>> + guifi.net + qmp.cat for large networks openwrt + villagetelco.org
>> (SECN v2.0) for small networks and telefonie in rural developing
>> world.
>>
>> Michel
>>
>> op 04/15/2014 11:06 PM, Mike Morraye schreef: Hi Frank,
>>
>> That's awesome! I'd love it if you would/could give a
>> presentation/talk about your experience. We've got the space and a
>> beamer.
>>
>> - Mimor

Re: Release Party 14.04 Ghent

Mimor

The event page on the wiki: http://0x20.be/Ubuntu_14.04_Release_Party

I'll be opening the space at 16:00
Feel free to let me know at what time you'd like to your presentation...

- - Mimor

12