Ubuntu life in Belgium

12

Ubuntu life in Belgium

kawabill
What triggered me was a mail I got from someone in the community,
stating that he rather spent his time otherwise, declining an invitation
I had sent him. No problem of course, but it took me to the following page;
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/IrcMeetings

No activities are visible for me the visitor, going over the pages it
seems that the latest info dates from 2012. I know activities are still
going on, organized by enthusiasts on a very local scale, but for me it
is not visible whether all of this is coordinated.

I find it a pity, that in the period where MS end of lifes XP I don't
see any coordinated activity to get people over into the
Ubuntu/Mint/Linux camp.

Can anyone please comment and give feedback or let me know I'm wrong and
I seem to live life on a desolate space outside of the Ubuntu community?

Have a nice day.
Bill

Re: Ubuntu life in Belgium

Elboully

Re: Ubuntu life in Belgium

kawabill
Tom, we're the only two responding this way. It can mean two things, we're both on an island, or indeed all other Ubuntu enthusiasts have said 'goodbye and good luck'.

Ubuntu (/ˈbʊnt/ oo-BUUN-too; Zulu/Xhosa pronunciation: [ùɓúntʼú]) is a Nguni Bantu term (literally, "human-ness") roughly translating to "human roughness." It is an idea from the Southern African region which means literally "human-ness," and is often translated as "humanity towards others," but is often used in a more philosophical sense to mean "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".

The universal bond inour case is indeed the Ubuntu software (or Linux if you like), that's what should bind us.

As we type, we are losing more and more momentum with regards to XP's end of life. Locally I help people setup their computer to Ubuntu or Mint, and the ones using give very positive feedback. This is something we could coordinate from the Loco-team, we could take initiative and pro-actively find people higher up in governmental ranks to make them more aware. It would be even better if we  link with Canonical to take this approach. Us on the local level, if not already done, can put folders/leaflets out at library and community hall, informing thus more people that they can find help outside to keep their old pc alive and kicking and give a second life. How green can one be? No new pc, and install an OS that uses less energy.

Train people, mainly younger people, in the meantime I think there is quite a bit of training material available. Let's actively visit schools, I have had very small successes visiting smaller schools and making them aware how well an Ubuntu netbook works when playing with Arduino or Raspberry pi.

Regular local gatherings, where people not in the core teams can visit and get help when needed. The other day, the team in Houthalen showed and explained about the different desktop options. Also explained why there are so many, not to make it difficult, but to have choice and once chosen have the freedom to change when a 'better' one comes to market.

Bottom line; how can the Ubuntu community become more visible as community?

Any suggestions thoughts anyone else?

Best regards,
Bill

Re: Ubuntu life in Belgium

Jurgentje
Yeps, I'm one of those "goodbye and good luck" people.

I was on the camp for a more structured Ubuntu-be for a long time, but painfully discovered that we were with too little dedicated people and/or too big plans. I am now in the camp of "local groups do great things" and "Ubuntu-be" is actually just an empty shell. It creates expectations in the public eye that we can not accomplish. imo it would be better to have no official (sounding) body as this actually negatively impacts Ubuntu. People expect help, support, presence, etc... and we can't deliver (as Ubuntu-be). There also is no "spokesman" or "central vision" for Ubuntu-be.

So as far as I'm concerned, I'm an enthusiastic Ubuntero. I love promoting Ubuntu. I will give support where I can, and every so often fail to help because I don't know enough too... I've been triggering Software Freedom Day for a  few years now in our hackerspace, and always gave Ubuntu a nice spot in there. But that's just me and our hackerspace, that's not Ubuntu-be.

The great events going on in Limburg, Izegem, etc... *woot* Great groups! They are Ubuntu in Belgium, but not Ubuntu-be :)
My suggestion would be to organize the funeral of Ubuntu-be and invite all the great groups doing Ubuntu in Belgium.

Grtz,
Jurgen.

On 01-05-14 07:49, kawabill wrote:
Tom, we're the only two responding this way. It can mean two things, we're both on an island, or indeed all other Ubuntu enthusiasts have said 'goodbye and good luck'.

Re: Ubuntu life in Belgium

Elboully

I don't know about organizing a funeral just yet. Maybe ubuntu.be could be a commonplace for those using and or discovering ubuntu but more in a fun sort of way. Don't know if i'm saying this right, but i think you get the picture. There doesn't need to be a central person or spokesman imho. Makes it far too official. The first goal should be, in my humble opinion, to get people to discover ubuntu. Maybe by promoting this list we could get more people discovering the os. As far as i'm concerned, i use ubuntu, talk about it and show it to whoever i think might be interrested, give support where i can and drop leaflets in our library. (They're also on ubuntu. Woot!!)
I think that if we do our part any wich way we can, on our little "islands", and use the net, list as our "glue", who knows what can happen in the future? Is there still a connection with canonical? How does that work? Hell, typing this gets me all fired up to give this a chance. What do you guys think? Give it some kind of try, or just leave, and do something on our own? (I think we could achieve more together, but i'd like to hear your opinion). My 2 cents....

Op 30 apr. 2014 07:30 schreef "kawabill" <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Tom,

the strongest periods of Ubuntu-be were when one single person actually kept his shoulders under the project. In the past we had a few of these people. Thing is: ubuntu-be.org should set clear expectations: what (not) to expect: a spokesman, the official stance of Ubuntu on whatever Belgian activity, guaranteed support, etc...

If someone stands up and is prepared to take leadership, you will quickly have a core team of somewhere between 5 and 10 or even more if you do a great job. If you're willing to take up this commitment, you'll be doing Ubuntu-be a big favour. Problem is, apparently this mythical figure called "somebody" we're all talking about and who'll do all the practical stuff like maintain the website, organise event booths, create content, etc... isn't on this list anymore. Not sure if he ever was.

Please, do give it a chance. First things first - canonical approval is not a problem if you can prove you're active. I'm assuming someone here will be able to tell you more details on this.

Grtz,
Jurgen.

On 01-05-14 12:11, tom verlinden wrote:

[...]

Hey Tom,

go ahead - organise it. :)
I failed. Better luck to you. I'll be glad to do my part.

Grtz,
Jurgen.

On 01-05-14 12:39, tom verlinden wrote:

[...]

Jurgen,
Thx for your support.
I'd like to hear from Bill too, and learn about his vision. We'll see where we will end up. (Hopefully somewhere nice. ;-)
Bill, the floor is yours....

Op 1 mei 2014 13:04 schreef "Jurgen Gaeremyn" <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Alain Baudrez

Sinds het wegvallen van de diprobeurs hier in Brugge heb ik zelf geen contact meer met andere Ubunteros in het Brugse.

Vraag is, of een IRL samenkomst nog veel mensen aanspreekt of dat ze liever alles online doen. In dat laatste geval zou er iets moeten gedaan worden om onze website wat attractiever te maken, want ik moet eerlijk toegeven dat wanneer ik bij iemand Ubuntu installeer ik het Nederlandse ubuntu forum als 'place to ask questions' aanraad en nooit onze website, daar die voor leken niet veel hulp biedt.

Ook zou eens gekeken moeten worden naar de kaart met steunpunten want ik vermoed dat er ook daar, net zoals hier, vele 'ghost'-accounts zijn.

Alain

Re: Ubuntu life in Belgium

Merlijn Sebrechts
# My thoughts

I have never known the "better" times, since I joined this mailinglist only a few months ago. I do see reports from other loco teams around the world and they seem to be way more active than us. I personally find it very sad that there isn't an ubuntu-be booth on fosdem. I think next year, I'm going to try to make one, but I'll need the help of more ubuntu-be members. I think we need IRL meetings, because they make friendships stronger, and they make you feel more connected to the community.

# THE WEBSITE

To me, the site only serves two purposes:
 - Give information about ubuntu-be community: meetings, members, events, ..
 - Give support in dutch

I think for the support part, it is better we team up with the ubuntu-nl people. Their forum seems to be very active: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org/.
For the information part, we just need a very simple CMS that is easy to maintain. I want to work on the new website myself, but then I have to know how you guys want it to be.

# MY QUESTIONS TO YOU

1) Do you want to help set up a booth at fosdem 2015?
2) Do you still use the website? If so, how?
3) What information would you want to see on the new website?

Op 1 mei 2014 15:25 schreef Alain Baudrez <[hidden email]>:

Sinds het wegvallen van de diprobeurs hier in Brugge heb ik zelf geen contact meer met andere Ubunteros in het Brugse.

Vraag is, of een IRL samenkomst nog veel mensen aanspreekt of dat ze liever alles online doen. In dat laatste geval zou er iets moeten gedaan worden om onze website wat attractiever te maken, want ik moet eerlijk toegeven dat wanneer ik bij iemand Ubuntu installeer ik het Nederlandse ubuntu forum als 'place to ask questions' aanraad en nooit onze website, daar die voor leken niet veel hulp biedt.

Ook zou eens gekeken moeten worden naar de kaart met steunpunten want ik vermoed dat er ook daar, net zoals hier, vele 'ghost'-accounts zijn.

Alain

Re: Ubuntu life in Belgium

Jurgentje
Hey Merlijn... I'll be replying in your mail...

On 01-05-14 16:57, Merlijn Sebrechts wrote:
# My thoughts

I have never known the "better" times, since I joined this mailinglist only a few months ago. I do see reports from other loco teams around the world and they seem to be way more active than us. I personally find it very sad that there isn't an ubuntu-be booth on fosdem. I think next year, I'm going to try to make one, but I'll need the help of more ubuntu-be members. I think we need IRL meetings, because they make friendships stronger, and they make you feel more connected to the community.

2014 was the first year there was no Ubuntu-be booth on FOSDEM. The material is available. I also think there even is some budget (Jan Bongaerts, can you confirm?) We even invested in some rollups a few years ago because we thought we were be more active. There was a question on this mailinglist for volunteers - Sulumar actually asked about this on January 24th. He asked if there were volunteers.

JanC replied he announced not to be doing it anymore in 2013. That mythical figure called "someone" had to take it over. Didn't happen. A consequence of nobody taking up leadership, guarding that things happened.

Meetings IRL are great - it sparked a lot of energy in 2010-2012. But in the end the volunteers wanting to dive into Ubuntu-be were the same volunteers that were already involved in many projects. It's not easy to have IRL meetings if your members are scattered over the whole country and your key members all have busy agendas.

But then again... good luck, if the time is right you could just spark a new animo. Would be great. :)

# THE WEBSITE

To me, the site only serves two purposes:
 - Give information about ubuntu-be community: meetings, members, events, ..
 - Give support in dutch
Actually the only purpose of the Ubuntu-be site, was to facilitate the events we organise or visit. For support, we always refered to Ubuntu-NL or Ubuntu-FR (or others)

The fact that big chunks of the site aren't translated, is because no volunteers were found to translate.

Again... this creature called "someone" had lots of plans here...

I think for the support part, it is better we team up with the ubuntu-nl people. Their forum seems to be very active: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org/.
For the information part, we just need a very simple CMS that is easy to maintain. I want to work on the new website myself, but then I have to know how you guys want it to be.
"you guys" = undefined.

The current website is running Drupal. It's working and is pretty easy to maintain. Content is key here: nobody delivered content, resulting in a static site.

If you do it, you make it. I'd say: make it small, make it modest. Not much more than referral would be cool.

As for the Ubuntu-be support map: half a decade ago Mongolito wrote this great Drupal extension. But he lives in Canada now, and doesn't have time anymore to commit to this project.

# MY QUESTIONS TO YOU

1) Do you want to help set up a booth at fosdem 2015?

Since this year, I stepped into the FOSDEM volunteers team. I can split my time, but still want to see some content too...

2) Do you still use the website? If so, how?
Nope.

3) What information would you want to see on the new website?
N/A
I rather have *no* website than a website showing we're not active.

Op 1 mei 2014 15:25 schreef Alain Baudrez <[hidden email]>:

Sinds het wegvallen van de diprobeurs hier in Brugge heb ik zelf geen contact meer met andere Ubunteros in het Brugse.

Vraag is, of een IRL samenkomst nog veel mensen aanspreekt of dat ze liever alles online doen. In dat laatste geval zou er iets moeten gedaan worden om onze website wat attractiever te maken, want ik moet eerlijk toegeven dat wanneer ik bij iemand Ubuntu installeer ik het Nederlandse ubuntu forum als 'place to ask questions' aanraad en nooit onze website, daar die voor leken niet veel hulp biedt.

Ook zou eens gekeken moeten worden naar de kaart met steunpunten want ik vermoed dat er ook daar, net zoals hier, vele 'ghost'-accounts zijn.

Alain

Re: Ubuntu life in Belgium

Jan Bongaerts
Hi Guys,
indeed there should be a budget somewhere, but I have no idea.
Mark Vandenborre still is the only one that can access the account.

Indeed we tried to have a few IRL meetings, and it was all good, but I have lost the energy to try and organise it.
I don't have the skills or expertise to maintain a site, and I think maintaining a good site is key to the success of the project.

So these are my two main frustrations
a) Active members cannot access the account, so we can't do anything when money is needed.
b) No-one is maintaining the site actively. We can't advertise who is actively involved, who to contact for what, etc. I'm supposed to be the LoCo contact, but how can I actively promote our group if the site doesn't reflect this? How can I actively lobby with press or government if I don't get a budget?

Most of the people that were at the IRL meetings, are not active anymore, and most of the people that are active now, were never at an IRL meeting.

If that magical someone would organise another IRL meeting, then I will do my best to attend.

Cheers,
Jan.

On 1 May 2014 17:26, Jurgen Gaeremyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Have you tried Ubuntu Linux yet?
Check out http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/ and find out why it is a better option than trying to upgrade your hardware to accommodate a newer version of your current system.

Re: Ubuntu life in Belgium

Elboully

> # MY *ANSWERS* TO YOU
>
> 1) Do you want to help set up a booth at fosdem 2015?
>> I'd like to be a part of that, since i've never done that
>> before.
(Always on the lookout for new experiences)

Since this year, I stepped into the FOSDEM volunteers team. I can
split my time, but still want to see some content too...

> 2) Do you still use the website? If so, how?
>> Information. But as you say, it's quite outdated and needs some
>> work.

> 3) What information would you want to see on the new website?
>> Activities that are planned, other relevant information.

I rather have *no* website than a website showing we're not active.
>> Same here.

While IRL meetings are fun and can do a lot for the people attending,
there's the geographical problem. (or so i think)
Myself i'm from Boom. (Rupelstreek, onder Antwerpen).
I have no knowledge about other peoples whereabouts.
But let's say, for the sake of argument, that we're scattered all over
Belgium. That would make it somewhat difficult to organise regular IRL
meetings. (How did you do this in the past?)

Witch brings me to the next question; where do you all live? Maybe we
should get that listed first?

@Jan, can we contact Mark Vandenborre? Seems strange to me that he's
the only one with acces to the account. (how did that happen?)
Maybe it's time to take things over?
Maybe if others can acces the site, this would be a nice start?
(Just throwing *** at the wall, seeing what sticks...)

Jurgen Gaeremyn schreef op 1/05/2014 17:26:

>> # MY QUESTIONS TO YOU
>>
>> 1) Do you want to help set up a booth at fosdem 2015?
>
> Since this year, I stepped into the FOSDEM volunteers team. I can
> split my time, but still want to see some content too...
>
>> 2) Do you still use the website? If so, how?
> Nope.
>
>> 3) What information would you want to see on the new website?
> N/A I rather have *no* website than a website showing we're not
> active.

Re: Ubuntu life in Belgium

Jurgentje
Hi Jan,

come to think of it... maybe the easiest would be to just create a *new*
bank account, and start with that one... I think we can get some
donations quickly. If Marc then transfers the existing funds to the new
account, it might just be easier than doing the transfer.
If we do this all through Keytrade bank (our current bank), I assume
they won't be giving us a hassle over closing down the empty bank
account. Otherwise leave €5 on it and that will be our 'hidden treasure' :)

As for the website... I have the impression that we have some people
stepping up at the moment. Who can give these persons author rights?
(and in extremis 1 person webmaster rights)

Grtz,
Jurgen.

On 01-05-14 18:26, Jan Bongaerts wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> indeed there should be a budget somewhere, but I have no idea.
> Mark Vandenborre still is the only one that can access the account.
>
> Indeed we tried to have a few IRL meetings, and it was all good, but I
> have lost the energy to try and organise it.
> I don't have the skills or expertise to maintain a site, and I think
> maintaining a good site is key to the success of the project.
>
> So these are my two main frustrations
> a) Active members cannot access the account, so we can't do anything
> when money is needed.
> b) No-one is maintaining the site actively. We can't advertise who is
> actively involved, who to contact for what, etc. I'm supposed to be
> the LoCo contact, but how can I actively promote our group if the site
> doesn't reflect this? How can I actively lobby with press or
> government if I don't get a budget?
>
> Most of the people that were at the IRL meetings, are not active
> anymore, and most of the people that are active now, were never at an
> IRL meeting.
>
> If that magical someone would organise another IRL meeting, then I
> will do my best to attend.
>
> Cheers,
> Jan.

Re: Ubuntu life in Belgium

Frank Neirynck
Ik vermoed dat er in Brugge wel meer zou moeten kunnen dan er nu
gebeurt. Onlangs nog bij een 10-tal mensen Ubuntu geïnstalleerd, dus
alles kan en ondanks het feit dat ik hier zeker niet in de top 10 (zelfs
niet in de top 100) van de posters zit en verre van een Ubuntu techie
ben, wil ik eventueel wel mijn steentje bijdragen.

rank

Re: Ubuntu life in Belgium

kawabill
Hey I'm not alone on the island....! :)

Tom, you're right I think and I agree. It is not somebody we need, it is us. Also Juergen's proposal for having Ubuntu-be.org and setting clear expectations I agree with, this way we can prevent disappointment from and by others. Carrying Ubuntu-be to the funeral I would think is just a bit too early. From the reactions, at least 5-10 people are actively involved and able to help.

Using IRC is maybe just a little too much written words and I've got no clue how to get it to work reliably, I think we need to get together or at least get visual. For getting together there is the hacker space, the facilities in Houthalen an hack - even an old school room in Bree. Is there an open source alternative to Skype, allowing for a virtual meeting maybe (I saw Apache's Open Meeting)? Or what if we organise a chat/video conference from the 'local' events; Houthalen in Limburg, Hackerspace, Brugge - can we organize it maybe in such a way that it's all in sync; ie. every last Wednesday of the month (convenient for LImburg, as this is the gathering date already)?

1) Do you want to help set up a booth at fosdem 2015? YES, if we can plan ahead I would think we can get the right and motivated people involved including this chap
2) Do you still use the website? If so, how? YES, but let's indeed make it such that people see activity - starting with filling the agenda showing the local activities for example
3) What information would you want to see on the new website? Haven't really given it a thought, but one thing for sure I would like to see and that is UP TO DATE information

Let's keep the ideas coming, I think getting around the bank account quickly is indeed opening a new one, and make it one that we can access and at least have some kind of redundancy. This as not to get stuck again.

I have to read and negotiate contracts all day, it would really be good if we could talk to each other, preferably face to face. This way we iterate in seconds rather than weeks.

Finally; let's get the link into Canonical established and strengthened. I work for a large company and quite a large bunch is starting to use Ubuntu also on the desktop. Ubuntu Phone is a great idea and has huge potential, especially for cost savings. I checked how I could get our purchasing in contact easily, but believe me, Canonical is not going to sell the idea if they stick to how they have approached this up to now. I would think, certainly in Europe, they have a  wide enough network of enthusiasts and could easily bundle the network to get aggressive into offering savings to large and medium size companies. As far as I'm concerned I use the software that they have ubuntu-ed, it is this creation that binds us - the reason why I spend my time locally to help people is for ubuntu, and also as a kind of payback to Canonical because they have created a magnificent piece of software. Not only them, but they are for me one of the main forces behind humanizing Linux! Credit to Mark Shuttleworth for all that. Taking Ubuntu-be to the graveyard doesn't seem the best way to help and show a kind of gratitude.

Too many words written already, and hail to he/she who came to this point. How to go forward? Let's use 8D methodology and get this going.
1) Plan - revive Ubuntu-be and prevent it from going quiet again
2) The core-team members proposed, let me know who disagrees or cannot pick up;
    a) kawabill
    b) nero
    c) Frank Neirynck
    d) Tom Verlinden
    e) Jan Bongaerts
    f) Merlijn Sebrechts
    g) Alain Daudrez
3) The problem; Ubuntu-be is dying
4) Temporary fix;
    aa) website is not upto date (whom can take action and when?)
    bb) bank account needs to be corrected (to open a new one I can pick up the action and can have it done within two weeks, with regards to the old one whom can get the responsible person to help organize it such that we have multiple Ubuntu-ers to get access and when?)
    cc) support point map - remove ghost accounts and update or allow for updated information (whom can take action and when?)
    dd) Limburg event box - Wouter, please drop me an e-mail where I can come and pick it up and get it into my storage garage)
    ee) Setup a web-meeting last Wednesday of May (May 28th), we can use Skype, Google hangout or maybe someone can help build Open Meeting for Ubuntu (I don't mind planning and coordinating, whom can help setup the technical side of it all, Nero???)

Let's get this going before we start root-cause analysis, and when need please team up where you can. Myself I'm not really good at using Drupal, I've build my own in HTML, but I sure could help cleaning up and updating.

Your comments please?

Bill

[...]

aa) I can help with the website. I now a tiny bit of Drupal. If somebody can give me the right credentials, I could take a look at it next week. Mike Morraye knows more about the website, I think.
cc) same as aa)
ee) I think Google Hangouts is the best free option. If somebody has a sip server, we could also use a sip client like jitsi.org, which has excellent Ubuntu support.

Thanks for doing this wake-up call, kawabill!

[...]

Real life meeting should still take preference over virtual meeting, if you ask me.
It's not all that hard to organise. Jurgen did it, I did it. They were all successful.
Just get to somewhere easily accessible by public transport.
Brussels is the best.
Antwerp or Ghent might be a good option.