how do i install ubuntu on a debian pc

Robbiesm
After Windows closed Windows xp I installed Linux-Debian on my pc and it's not completely what i wanted. so a friend of my told me to change to ubuntu. I already burned it on a cd and tried to open it in the boot menu of my pc but that won't work ifyou haven't run the .exe file in the downloaded package. but i haven't installed the program(s) to run .exe files.

Is there something i can do to run the .exe file or is there a version of ubuntu that can be installed from debian?

i'm new to the linux software, so i really don't know where to look for the right software.

Re: how do i install ubuntu on a debian pc

snb1405
You probably have downloaded the ubuntu wubi installer, that's the reason why you have an .exe file on it.

Normally you should download the iso file which you can find here

Burn this file onto a cd an reboot your pc from the cd.

Normally you can enter the ubuntu setup.
If you need any further help on this, you could try to contact a local support point or myself :)

(sorry for my immature English)

Kind regards

Bjorn

Re: how do i install ubuntu on a debian pc

Elboully

Hello!

First of all, congratulations on your descision of giving Ubuntu a go.

Here's what i've done several times in the past. (And it doesn't
include messing about with .exe's)

First of all, grab an iso from the Ubuntu site. (if you haven't done
already).
Second, burn this on a dvd.
Third, in the bios menu of your computer, adjust the bootorder from hd
to dvd. (How you can acces your mobo's bios, is dependent on the
manufacturer. So that could be pressing F12, F8, etc....before booting)

And bob's your uncle. Your dvd-drive should be whirring about,
installing your fresh copy of Ubuntu.
Just follow the installer and that's it.

Let us now how it went, ok?

Kind regards,

Verlinden Tom.

Robbiesm schreef op 4/05/2014 20:09:

> After Windows closed Windows xp I installed Linux-Debian on my pc
> and it's not completely what i wanted. so a friend of my told me to
> change to ubuntu. I already burned it on a cd and tried to open it
> in the boot menu of my pc but that won't work ifyou haven't run the
> .exe file in the downloaded package. but i haven't installed the
> program(s) to run .exe files.
>
> Is there something i can do to run the .exe file or is there a
> version of ubuntu that can be installed from debian?
>
> i'm new to the linux software, so i really don't know where to look
> for the right software.

> http://ubuntu-be.3354669.n2.nabble.com/how-do-i-install-ubuntu-on-a-debian-pc-tp7575280.html

Sent from the Ubuntu-be mailing list archive at Nabble.com.